Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:34:43AM -0800, Christopher Ambler wrote:

> So the registry that wants to run .foo is out of luck if .bar is chosen?

Until and unless new TLDs are added, yes.  Couldn't think of a
better incentive to get namespace opened up.

Besides, this way the selection of the new TLD strings will be done
in a context-free manner, independent of everything except the string's
own merit and possible charter.  This is as it should be, unless the
DNSO and ICANN want to be in the same position the DoC was in when
it handed .com,.net,.org, and the rest over to NSI.  And unless we
want to be faced with 6-10 mini-NSI situations when the contracts
run out or the registries are found to be lacking.

The registry MUST NOT own the TLD, and must not be allowed to even
infer that some ownership exists, or we'll just be creating problems
for everyone, and perpetual fiefdoms for a select few.

> Ridiculous. Companies willing to enter the market will have already
> done their (expensive) market research to determine what TLD to
> apply for.

And I'll refer you to my earlier statement:  If their string isn't
in the initial batch, then they have that much more market impetus to
do what is necessary to ensure namespace is expanded further.  This
benefits the community by providing the tension necessary to work
against infringement fears and get new TLDs added to the roots.

> In the case of Image Online Design, there was quite a bit
> of research in selecting .web back in 1995. When the approval
> process for TLDs begins, this is the TLD IOD expects to submit.
> Ironically, I suspect that if it ever did come down to voting, .web
> would be in the top 3 anyway.

Then neither you nor IOD have anything to worry about, do you?
We're all well aware of your claims of ownership for .web.  Between
you and name.space, this WG seems less like a technical policy
forum and more like a spamvertisement at times.  If and when .web is
among the TLDs to be added to the root, I'm sure you'll be given a
fair and equitable opportunity to make your proposal, and a chance to
be the registry for .web.  The same fair, equitable oppportunity
everyone else should have, if we do this right.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org