Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

> > The middle-road solution is to set down objective criteria that a
registry
> > must meet (much like was done for registrars), and accept applications
> > based upon that criteria. Each application will also contain the single
TLD
> > that the applying registry wishes to run, based on their business plan
and
> > marketing data.
> >

> I'm perfectly happy with that.  I'm just saying that the selection
> process for the initial (and future) TLDs should be completely
> seperate from this process.  Then, after the TLDs have been agreed
> upon, if a registry so wishes, it can present exactly the proposal you
> just described, given that the TLD is in the pool agreed upon.  If
> not, too bad.

So the registry that wants to run .foo is out of luck if .bar is chosen?
Ridiculous. Companies willing to enter the market will have already
done their (expensive) market research to determine what TLD to
apply for. In the case of Image Online Design, there was quite a bit
of research in selecting .web back in 1995. When the approval
process for TLDs begins, this is the TLD IOD expects to submit.
Ironically, I suspect that if it ever did come down to voting, .web
would be in the top 3 anyway.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web