Re: [wg-c] more on non-shared gTLDs

Rick, you've hit the nail on the head.
This is the fundamental flaw in the .naa proposal and some of the other
"sponsored" TLD proposals that address miniscule populations of registrants.

A .mus or .naa would be fine if we were in the process of authorizing hundreds
or thousands of TLDs. In an environment of artificial scarcity, restricted to
only 6-10, it makes no sense to authorize TLDs that will receive, at most, a
few hundred registrations. Indeed, it would be obscene for ICANN, after such
massive labors, to give birth to such insignificant mice.

I suspect that some of the IP constituency people and their apologists (e.g.,
Kent) promote this idea because it is the closest thing possible to not
expanding the name space at all.