Re: [wg-c] more on non-shaired gTLDs

At 21:13 20/03/00 -0500, James Love wrote:

>    There are lots of groups that will be seeking to use ICANN to
>enforce a variety of policies.  This was raised in Strasbough last
>thursday in a meeting of the European Parliament.  I was there.  This
>has nothing to do with TLDs.  It has to do with ICANN's power and
>control over domain registrations.  The US government has already asked
>ICANN to eliminate the "mickey mouse" type registrations and to find the
>true name of the domain owners, and also to address trademark issues. I
>think this is only the beginning of ICANN as an enforcement tool for
>governments.  This is an observation, not an endorsement.

And this is what many have foreseen and what has brought many concerned
individuals into the DN arena.

Saying "it ain't so" is no going to be particularly helpful. The only way
to deal with the inevitable creep of ICANN's mission is to make sure that
*all* interests, non-commercial and individual, are fairly represented in
the policy-initiating Names Council and  on the ICANN Board.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , founder  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org  (or direct:)
http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/