[wg-c] getting work done, versus not

Josh,

I anticipated such a response, but hoped there was substance behind your
comment.

This working group is supposed to produce solutions.  Having participants
raise theoretical issues, with no foundation and no resolution, is a superb
way to ensure that we continue to fail in our assigned task.

It is not enough to participate with good intention.  What counts is
actually producing results.

There are always "what if" challenges to proposals.  An infinite
number.  There is no benefit in pursuing every single "what if" that
someone raises, unless the goal is infinite academic discussion.

It is long past time for this working group to stop treating its activities
as an exercise in theoretical politics and, instead, worry about serving
DNS users with new gTLDS.

There is a working DNS with a long history.  We need to stop trying to
invent everything from scratch and, instead, focus on formalizing and
enhancing ESTABLISHED practise.

With nearly 15 years of history, the DNS has plenty of established
practise.  Pretending otherwise is, again, a good way to ensure making no
progress.

d/

At 06:48 AM 3/17/00 -0800, Josh Elliott wrote:
>I really don't know - creativity is not my strong suit, but I don't want us
>restricting others from finding ways to construct alternative competitive
>models.
>
> > From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com]
> > To: jelliott@tucows.com
> > Cc: William X. Walsh; Rick H Wesson; wg-c@dnso.org
> > Subject: RE: [wg-c] application documents requirements
> >
> > At 05:54 AM 3/17/00 -0800, Josh Elliott wrote:
> > >I do think, however, it is reasonable to assume there could be other
> > >competitive models other than a registry/registrar model.
> >
> > What examples do you have in mind?

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA