RE: [wg-c] FW: ADNS Press Release

At 03:41 PM 3/3/2000 -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> > At 09:37 AM 3/3/2000 -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> > >.... In the future, we will not have any choice but to deal with
> multi-part roots. Technology follows business, which follows the customer.
> >
> > That sort of prediction and that sort of business "analysis" are no doubt
> > comforting, but the former is as firm as all predictions for which there is
> > no history to support it, and the latter is as simplistic as saying that to
> > get world peace, we simply need to decide to have it.
>
>I don't know where you got a former and latter part out of my statement. The

1. "In the future..." is the former
2. "Technology follows..." is the latter.

>second sentence was intended to amplify the first. Perhaps I need to

Perhaps intended, but it moved from making a statement that runs counter to
considerable existing history showing failure of alternative root
systemefforts, into the meta-physics of business practise.

The truth of that metaphysics would require defying meta-physics of the
real world, for example.  (The recent IAB statement is a sufficient reference.)

>re-phrase? What I meant to say is that business needs determine what, of the
>available technology, gets used and when. Further, that customer needs and

A more careful statement.  And a more reasonable one.

>requirements are what drives busines needs. Customers need more name space,
>some businesss see the alternate root space as a viable means to give the
>customer what they want, technology follows.

In this case, the "more name" space will not be "more".  It will be
"different"; if it has any meaningful success it will partition the Internet.

It is like trying to solve a lack of funds by printing one's own money.

>The golden rule of marketing; find out what the customer wants ... give it
>to them ... any way you can. Those who do this, succeed. Those who do not,
>fail.

Ahh, another lesson in marketing.

The problem with this one is that "any way you can" must at least be viable.

Knowingly selling products that do not work is often a crime.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA