Re: [wg-c] Kendall Dawson's thoughts, protection of famous names and marks

Dear Jonathan,

I agree with your points regarding reasonable "famous mark" protection.
As a new TLD registry and operator active since 1996, Name.Space, Inc.
has in place a famous names policy and has enforced it on many occasions,
all well documented and accepted willingly by the offenders without
protest.  This is not to say that any such policy will be perfect and
airtight, but it is a place to begin and when practiced in good faith
by registries/registrars it is possible to provide a reasonable balance
between free expression, fair use in commerce, and trademark protection.
Our experience and practice over the past four years indicates that this works.

Best regards,

Paul Garrin
Founder/CEO
Name.Space, Inc.