Re: [wg-c] nine principles for domain names

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 08:22:36AM -0800, Bret Fausett wrote:
> Philip Sheppard wrote:
> > 1. Trust – a gTLD should give the net user confidence that it stands for
> > what it purports to stand for.
> > You say why trust?
>
> I understood Karl's point differently. "Trust" may be critical for a
> chartered/zoned domain (for example, you can't register a pornographic site
> in .kids), but it may be meaningless in a true generic TLD. What does trust
> mean in the context of .web or .123?
>
> As phrased, the statement assumes that TLDs stand for something, and some of
> them may simply be memorable strings, standing for nothing.

I think his point is that TLDs *should* stand for something, and that
consumers should have some confidence in that.  The term "trust" is a
bit strong, perhaps, especially given that it has, at least to some,
technical implications.

Note that I don't necessarily agree that all TLDs should stand for
something, but on the other hand, I take it quite seriously as a point
of view.