Re: [wg-c] WIPO: Use of Trademarks on the Internet: Issues Paper

At 13:32 21.01.00 -0500, Eric Brunner wrote:

>Since we seem to be hibernating somewhere between the
>conclusion of the Interim Report Public Comments period
>and the Cairo meeting, it shouldn't hurt to suggest a
>bit of reading.
>
>The 3rd Session of the Standing Committee on the Law
>of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical
>Indications (SCT/3/4) issued a issues paper with the
>catchy title of:
>
>         Use of Trademarks on the Internet:
>         Issues Paper
>
>To obtain this, go to the following URL, it is the
>4th link in the index.
>
>http://www.wipo.int/eng/document/sct/index_3.htm
>
>Anyone (with the usual exclusion list) having read it and
>having a comment feel free to drop me a line, or write to
>the wg-c list if not completely off-topic.

I actually found the 2nd link (answers to questionnaire) interesting too,
especially the statement

"The most obvious conclusion to be drawn from the answers to the
questionnaire is that there exists a wide divergence of views regarding the
legal treatment of the hypothetical situations presented in it. From the
perspective of trademark owners, as well as from the perspective of those
who wish to participate in electronic commerce, this will probably seem
rather disconcerting."

There is as yet no global harmony of laws here.
We should be careful to avoid crafting solutions that either assume or try
to create one.

                       Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no