Re: [wg-c] Multiple Root Distractions

At 00:25 21.12.99 -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:

>I'm happy to leave competitive roots.

I'm happy to leave them too, but insist that there is no consensus on
Karl's position. In fact, a *lot* of people disagree with him.
I'll shut up now - this is my last message on the subject this century.

>As long as people realize that they work,

for a particular definition of "work"

>  that there are good economic reasons to have them,

depends on whose economy you're talking about

>  that they have an
>advantage due to their ability to ignore ICANN imposed regulations and
>costs,

sure

>  and that they can add as many new TLDs as they want to the existing
>suite of TLDs without any permission from the DNSO or ICANN.

unless you want their users to interoperate with users of other roots, of
course.

>As for non-connectivity.  The non-connectivity is imaginary.  Have any of
>you been unable to reach me, a user of a non-ICANN competitive root?
>
>And I might point out that our vexatious impersonator is on a net that
>tends to use a competitive root and I bet a lot of us would wish that his
>connectivity were worse.
>
>Those who claim to be concerned about potential (self-inflicted)
>non-connectivity might be advised to put their efforts into the real
>problems that occur daily - erroneous routing information (causing routing
>loops and black holes), inter-ISP exchange point congestion,
>overly-blocking NATs and firewalls, stale URL's, web pages without
>expiration headers, and denial of service attacks.

so, since we have all those problems, we need to afflict ourselves with yet
another, deliberately created one. Logical.

                    Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no