[wg-c] Non/For-Profit & Working Group B

I would tend to agree with the position that a mix of non-profit and
for-profit registries is acceptable. However, how to achieve this mix with
the roll-out of new gTLDs in a controlled, responsible and orderly fashion
is less than clear.

As co-chair of Working Group B, the discussion on the list of a roll-out of
6-10 new registries simultaneously is of some concern. I believe that a
testbed period of one new commercial domain would be ideal since it would
allow us to see if the safeguards that Working Group B is considering actual
work.  If the safeguards fail, correcting the problem with one new
commercial gTLD is much more efficient then to remedy the problem across six
or more gTLDs. To not disadvantage any for-profit registry business plans,
perhaps a non-profit commercial gTLD would be ideally suited for a testbed
roll-out to make sure that the Intellectual Property communities interests
are satisfactorily addressed.