Re: [wg-c] Discharging employees no longer needed after lossof contract. (Formerthread "registry contracts".)

"Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@psi-japan.com> wrote 11/15/99 10:04AM
>At 08:32 15-11-1999 -0500, Eric Brunner wrote:
>>If operators have no title interest in registry data, and the mechanism
>>for renewal is competitive bid on price with nominal non-price conditions
>>which resolve to capitalization, then at each rebid, each operator will
>>have only their initial capitalization and accumulations, direct as well
>>as indirect, from registry operation.
>
>One aspect of this concept of moving a registry from one operator to
>another (as proposed by Kent's proposal) is that, in many political
>jurisdictions, the losing operator will have major responsibilities for
>employees it no longer requires.  In lots of places you can't just
>discharge employees because you lost a contract.
>
>Comments?
>
>BobC

The pure economic answer is that jurisdictions which do not so bog down
their businesses with such regulations will have a comparative advantage
and for that reason will (and, from the perspective of free market economics,
_should_) attract a larger share of the domain name registration business
than those which impose social welfare obligations on the employer.

The legal answer is: tell me (or any other cartilaginous-skeletoned brethren
of my profession) in which jurisdictions you intend to site your domain name
registration business, and I or they will be happy to develop strategies
which minimize your exposure to this risk.

The policy answer, I submit, should be the decision how to structure the
future of the domain name system should be inelastic with respect to
national laws and customs of businessmen; that the rules should be
uniform, developed in the interest of the Internet as a whole; and that the
about the values entailed by responding to the changing economic
landscape and/or preserving their own traditions and practices.

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson Silverman
Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com