Re: [wg-c] The legal status of registries

Hi John,

Erm, isn't that just a nice and fancy way using big words to say exactly
what I said? Your "common carrier regulatory" model, basically means
oversight from ICANN. The model that "allows anyone meeting minimal
technical criteria" is a FCFS model.

Yup.  Having spent a number of years trying to extricate the
telecom, CATV, and wireless worlds from common carrier regulatory
models, it's not exactly a desired model. IMHO

The view that ccTLDs should be lumped with the rest is a minority view at
this moment. I thought you would have accepted it.

My acceptance isn't relevant.  As Seinfeld would say, you have
a lot of big matzoh balls hanging out there (all those existing
2, 3 and 4 letter TLDs).  It might be nice to rationalize this
somehow.  Although the Internet loves chaos, legal systems
typically rely on some consistency.

> >is enough oversight there by the general public and by world governments
> >(particularly by USgov through DoC and NSF) to make sure that they
> >won't
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^ don't think so.
> How about DOJ?

DOJ is important because it provides a remedial venue, not oversight IMO.

Then we have a problem here, Houston.  NSF is clearly out of the
picture.  DoC doesn't have the authority.  The FCC is forbearing.
In the final analysis, over some years, it's been the DOJ and
the judicial system that has been the most effective safeguard
against anticompetitive practices.

--tony