[wg-c] On IBM's "proliferation of signposts" concern

Craig,

Thank you for your summary. I agree with most of what you say, and
would merely like to elaborate on one point:

> From a technical standpoint 'It ain't broke yet, so there's nothing to fix.' But
> from a social standpoint, many people think things are definitely broken,
> arguing they can be fixed by implementing various new gTLD models.

In my view, there is a lot to fix, call it technical or social. Not fixing
it costs billions of dollars in lost revenue to the players who are
currently afraid of new TLDs.

This how, during the WG-C meeting, I tried to address IBM's "proliferation
of sign-posts" concern as explained by Roger Cocchetti. Of course my
explanation was unclear, so I tried to be clear this time. I will use
Roger Cochetti's metaphor to point out that IBM is the first to loose
billions of dollars in revenue because of the delay in launching
new gTLDs.

   Roger's metaphor: the Internet is a highway. Domain names are
   signposts. Add an undisputed fact: The Internet is a highway where
   anybody can build a connecting road at low cost.  Conclude:
   Connecting roads without an *organised* and *diversified* system
   of signposts are useless. In other words, requiring that all
   signposts be green, or end in .com, does not avoid confusion.

We do have the confusion now. We work in a flat name space with
maximum potential for confusion. This severely limits the
accessibility of new services. This costs billions of dollars in
lost revenue to IBM, to ATT, to Worldcom, to all of us. I am not
saying this is the main concern, but it is one.

Regards,

Werner

--
Tel: +41 22 312 5600  Direct line: +41 22 312 5640  http://axone.ch
Fax: +41 22 312 5601  2 cours de Rive   CH-1204 Geneva, Switzerland