[wg-c] another dispatch from LA; this mailing list

	1.David Maher wrote to me with this summary of his comments at the LA
meeting, which I'm reposting as received:

>my summary of my own comments at the wg-c
>meeting are:
>Given that a very small number of gTLDs is most likely to be authorized at
>first, I see no reasonable way to allow for-profit registries to
>participate in the first round. The first new registries are very likely to
>be immensely popular, and I see no reason to create more NSIs by handing
>some entity a billion dollar property. Theoretically, a lottery could be
>used to select from among the conflicting claimants, but this still appears
>to me the wrong way to go about it. For-profit registries should be held
>off until there are thousands of gTLDs and real competition can be
implemented.

	2. David also raised some concerns about this list, which I agree with and
which I'm going to state in my own words.  We just had a worthwhile
physical meeting in LA.  It lasted an entire hour, and nobody insulted
anybody else; nobody spread FUD about lawsuits; everybody stayed on-topic.
The fact that we've  been unable to meet those standards on the mailing
list, so far, has been a real barrier to getting work done.  Folks have
suggested to me that the list be moderated to mandate "civil discourse" (a
la Stef), and I'd really prefer not to do that.  I do strongly urge
everyone, though, to limit your posts to this list to actual work.  Milton
has stated that he'll soon submit to the list a specific implementation
proposal for the testbed period.  That's what everyone should be doing.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com