Re: [wg-c] WGC Position Paper

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 09:09:08AM -0700, Paul Stahura wrote:
> A comment below on this WP...
>

> > QUESTION TWO: HOW TO SELECT TLD STRINGS AND REGISTRIES?
> >
> > We believe that ICANN should decide on a set of new gTLD strings, and
> > then solicit applications from would-be registries (or existing
> > registries) to run those TLDs.  In picking the new gTLD strings, it
> > should have the assistance of a standing Working Group who would make
> > periodic proposals for new gTLDs.
>
> I believe that the prospective registry should suggest the TLD string
> for which they wish to be a registry.  Having ICANN pick the TLD strings
> beforehand and then asking for proposals is backwards.  What happens if
> ICANN
> does not pick ".mus" even though there is a group of museums
> out there that wish to be a registry for that string? Does that museum
> group just use one of the TLDs that ICANN *did* pick?

No -- the museum group suggests it to ICANN, and ICANN, if ICANN
thinks the string has merit, they put it in the list.

>  What if someone has
> a great idea for ".shoe", one that ICANN or this working group you mention
> has not thought of? Or, what if ICANN picks ".shoe" and
> nobody has an excellent idea for it, or wishes to be a registry for it?
> If we let the prospective registries include the TLD with their
> applications,
> then ICANN will get a larger variety from which to choose the best
> TLD sting and registry idea combination.

If we let *anyone* suggest a name then ICANN will get even a larger
set to choose from.  No point in limiting the input to requests
from registries.  Who knows, someone who has no interest in being a
registry might come up with a brilliant name that any
self-respecting registry would want.

> Therefore, I believe the TLD sting should be part of the application
> submitted by the
> prospective registry.  Let the registries make the best case for the
> TLD of their choosing, then ICANN can decide up or down
> taking the entire application, including the reason why the
> registry is asking for the particular TLD string, into account.

The problem isn't who suggests the name, it's in the idea that the
registry "owns" the string.

> Maybe the WG you mention could advise ICANN regarding the
> appropriateness, intellectual property, and other issues about the
> TLD strings suggested in the applications from prospective registries.

But why on earth limit suggestions to just those by prospective
registries?  That cuts the input down to an insignificant tiny number.