Re: [wg-c] WGC Position Paper

A comment below on this WP...

> QUESTION TWO: HOW TO SELECT TLD STRINGS AND REGISTRIES?
>
> We believe that ICANN should decide on a set of new gTLD strings, and
> then solicit applications from would-be registries (or existing
> registries) to run those TLDs.  In picking the new gTLD strings, it
> should have the assistance of a standing Working Group who would make
> periodic proposals for new gTLDs.

I believe that the prospective registry should suggest the TLD string
for which they wish to be a registry.  Having ICANN pick the TLD strings
beforehand and then asking for proposals is backwards.  What happens if
ICANN
does not pick ".mus" even though there is a group of museums
out there that wish to be a registry for that string? Does that museum
group just use one of the TLDs that ICANN *did* pick?  What if someone has
a great idea for ".shoe", one that ICANN or this working group you mention
has not thought of? Or, what if ICANN picks ".shoe" and
nobody has an excellent idea for it, or wishes to be a registry for it?
If we let the prospective registries include the TLD with their
applications,
then ICANN will get a larger variety from which to choose the best
TLD sting and registry idea combination.
Therefore, I believe the TLD sting should be part of the application
submitted by the
prospective registry.  Let the registries make the best case for the
TLD of their choosing, then ICANN can decide up or down
taking the entire application, including the reason why the
registry is asking for the particular TLD string, into account.
Maybe the WG you mention could advise ICANN regarding the
appropriateness, intellectual property, and other issues about the
TLD strings suggested in the applications from prospective registries.

I also suggest that prospective registries be allowed to suggest the
*number* of TLD stings they wish to be a registry for, but that is another
matter.

Paul Stahura
eNom, Inc.