Re: [wg-c] Position paper: Commentary on three points. (I & III)

Eric,

At 08:45 PM 10/15/1999 -0400, Eric Brunner wrote:
>Joseph,
>
>Your first point.
>
>a) I'm at a loss to reconcile your use of "shared" here and the assertion
>in your subsequent mail (which caught my attention). The use here appears
>to be correct (shared registries with compeating registrars exist).

I differentiate between the registrar function and the registry function.

The registrar function is competitive, whereas any registrar can register
domains.
For the registry function, only one entity can manage any given TLD.

>I like the way you've worded this, any certified registrar can act on the
>"general purpose" registries, and only specific registrars can act on the
>"special purpose" registries. Policy and competition.

I use this terms as per Jonathan Weinberg's position paper.

>b) You'll find in the Irish ccTLD one attempt at the "general word" problem,
>I suggest you lift that text in toto by your Monday final.

ICANN can establish a list of general words to be used as general-purpose TLDs.

--Joseph