Re: [wg-c] Position paper: Commentary on three points.

At 04:49 PM 10/15/1999 -0400, Eric Brunner wrote:
>Joseph,
>
>I don't think I understand this sentence:
>
>         Running a registry of a specific TLD is a function only one
>         entity can perform.  There can be no competition in this
>         arena.
>
>Could you expand just slightly, using NSI, NSI's SRS, and one of NSI's
>TLDs as an example? You may not have noticed in the NAA position paper
>that the NAA registry architecture is a shared access, physically
>distributed registry, with several initial registrars. A registry is
>after all, a data base, and distributed databases with distinct access
>managers and global consistency are solved problems. There is nothing
>in the NAA proposal that is trust-model specific, so distrust (aka
>"competitive exclusionary access to limited resources, e.g, registrants")
>is not precluded between the shared registry managers.

Eric,

What I mean is, for example, take NSI's .COM registry.  Only NSI is the
registry for .COM.  While it is true it shares the registrar function with
others, NSI is the only registry.  NSI maintains the .COM server.  By
definition only one entity can do that.  It cannot be competitive.  NSI
cannot, even if it had wanted to, share being the registry for .COM.

--Joseph