Re: [wg-c] Comments?

1 to 11 and 14 I could agree with, but 12 and 13 continue to beg questions
and 13, in particular, introduces a biased prejudgement that more new gTLDs
will be added after the evaluation period - whereas, if the evaluation
period showed that more problems were being created, I would certainly not
propose to continue piling on more gTLDs.

My acceptance of 6 to 9 is also very much dependent on i) ensuring that
adequate protection mechanisms are in place beforehand to prevent the
systematic abuses brand owners have experienced in the existing gTLDs and
ii) that new gTLDs are only added in an appropriately structured and
differentiated manner to separate commercial and non-commercial domains. If
this IS done (and I think it can be done using a Yellow Pages model,
although I don't underestimate the difficulties involved), I think it would
go a long way both to reducing the conflict between legitimate businesses in
different fields who use the same name in the real world and between
commercial entities and legitimate non-commercial users.

Right now, however, I see the alleged "consensus" as declared by Jonathan
and Javier as ignoring these essential dependencies - the proponents of more
gTLDs principally seem to be those who want more undifferentiated gTLDs
(like .web, .firm etc) because they think that is necessary to compete with
NSI irrespective of whether they simply replicate and multiply the problems
with the existing gTLDs and irrespective of whether or not that is in the
best interest of the wider community of all internet users, not just of
would-be registries and registrars.
Keith