Re: [wg-c] SV: Consensus and compromises...

Ross,

My response was inspired by what I learned from other "testbeds".

One master of testbeds is the former Swiss PTT, now Swisscom, our
government-protected incumbent carrier. Whenever they wanted to
have things their way, they would to a "test". The test would
take time (and time is always on the incumbent's side). Moreover,
sometimes even the incumbent wants to change something, e.g.
impose outrageous pricing, push some proprietary technology,
demonstrate the supposed impossibility of competition, or, even
more diabolically, install some token competitor whose business
practises are worse than itself, so its own practises appear
in a better light or at least as "standard" practise. A testbed
is the ideal way to do that.

Had Machiavelli lived in an era of public procurement contracts
handled by democratic states, he would have devoted an entire
chapter to testbeds.

That being said, I also used to believe in testbeds as a way
to promote progress and competition. Only from experience did
I learn that paradoxically they serve inertia and the dominant
player.

Regards,

Werner