Re: [wg-c] SV: Consensus and compromises...

Kevin,

Let me try: A testbed provides a meaningful demonstration of
 - how long and hard it is prepare, complete and evaluate the testbed
 - how easily a dominant player can capture and and deform it.

But I guess the NSI shared registry testbed has already demonstrated
that...

Regards,

Werner

"Kevin J. Connolly" wrote:

> Does anyone really think that floating test TLDs that have no semantic
> content at all is a meaningful test of anything?  There are at least some
> potential applicants for SLD names whose interest is a function of the
> differentiation of the name space.  If all we're doing is creating room for
> new SLDs which are as indistinguishable from the existing sets as
> 800, 888, and 877 phone numbers are from each other, then the exercise
> has been a waste of time and we should own up to it.
>
> KJC

> Exactly - or something like .tucows - which I'm not advocating as there are
> IP issues associated with that particular name, but the point is that there
> are bazillions of gTLDs that can be used to test on without affecting the
> competitive landscape one iota. Maybe .rader would be a better example, or
> .test1, .test2 etc. Moving from the test tld to a real one can't be that
> difficult no matter how you slice it.
>
> {snip}

> The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
> and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
> product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
> and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
> this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
> munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
> cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
> at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com

Tel: +41 22 312 5600  Direct line: +41 22 312 5640  http://axone.ch
Fax: +41 22 312 5601  2 cours de Rive   CH-1204 Geneva, Switzerland