Re: [wg-c] Well, maybe this won't work

I think you don't understand what I'm saying. The proof is that we're still
where we were a few years ago. The two camps (I'm convinced that all
the camps are just variations on these two themes) are:
A-let the entities choose their gTLDs and market them however they want, and
  good luck to them.
B-gTLDs get assigned and decided by ICANN and the entities will run them as
  a backend database operation.

We can fight over semantics as long as we want, but these two positions are
NOT able to be combined in a consensus position. I think that we HAVE at
least proven that. They are non-compatible options.

How many gTLDs, at what speed, registry requirements and criteria are
totally different worlds depending what choice is taken (or what slight
variation on one of the above choices).

This WG *CAN* work correctly with the current approach, but it can NOT
overcome the above choice (and I'm not sure that it is for this WG to
decide).

The above choice APPEARS to be the subject of negotiation between ICANN, DoC
& NSI. If so, life will be a lot simpler once it is clear.

I am not advocating a different approach, scrapping what we have, or
starting over. I'm just stating the obvious (like the mathmatician), and
that is that we're deadlocked from the beginning. This deadlock has two very
different paths forward, so arguing about life AFTER the deadlock is stale.
The deadlock has to be resolved FIRST.

Yours, John Broomfield.