Re[2]: [wg-c] Well, maybe this won't work

Tuesday, September 07, 1999, 2:16:18 AM, Jean-Michel Becar <Jean-Michel.Becar@etsi.fr> wrote:

> E) Selection of the registry?
> I think the best think to do *NOW* is to write down a charter based on the
> registrar accreditation and let's discuss about it and make improvements
> when it will be written. I know that a registrar and a registry is different
> but we can use the NSI experience as basis. I also know that NSI may be is
> not the best example but this is the only one, so use our brain to make
> things better.

I've been pushing for this since before Santiago.  I've even setup a
list for this to be discussed should the noise be too loud over here.

As yet, there seems to be little enthusiasm for doing this.

I think that this is the major sticking point, also.  If we can come
up with reasonable accreditation standards, the actual contractual
obligations of the registry, that satisfy the significant concerns of
the various "thought camps" then many of the arguments about
quantities, etc, could be resolved a lot easier.

If I am reading people correctly, they want to know this before
committing to any "number."  Voting on a "number" now is putting the
cart before the horse.  People need to know what they are voting on
first.  If the standards are satisfactory, many of the concerns over
numbers might be alleviated, and could encourage compromises that
bring the "thought camps" closer together.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

Join DNSPolicy.com's discussion list!