RE: [wg-c] Well, maybe this won't work

Hi all,

I'll try to put points on which we need to agree:

A) It seems that this working is in favour for the introduction of new TLDs.
I think we have a rough consensus on that so please don't discuss that point
any more.

B) How many?
Let's start with few, something like 3 or 5 to stay in a *testbed*
environment.

C) Which one?
1- The registry could decide - I think this is the best option: let's the
market to decide.
2- ICANN Board decides
3- DNSO decides
4- NC decides
To be decided.

D) Business model?
Let's the registry to decide - Once again let's the market to decide.

E) Selection of the registry?
I think the best think to do *NOW* is to write down a charter based on the
registrar accreditation and let's discuss about it and make improvements
when it will be written. I know that a registrar and a registry is different
but we can use the NSI experience as basis. I also know that NSI may be is
not the best example but this is the only one, so use our brain to make
things better.

F) Who Select?
1- ICANN Board
2 - DNSO
3 - NC
4 - Registrars constituency
5 - Registry constituency
I think we need a panel of experts from all of the 5 options. Let's say one
or two persons from each group and the selection of the experts could be
done by draw from a nomination list. and let's call it ROC: Registry
Oversight Committee (and may be Sean Connery could be the chair ;-0 ) or
call it RAC: Registry Advisory Committee but already exists under ICANN

G) Evaluation?
How long : let's start with 4 months and review the period every 2 weeks
during a teleconf or meeting.
And let's a working group setting up the criteria's.

H) Growth?
I often read that we should add X TLDs each months or each year, which is
for me a complete nonsense. OR this could have a sense if we are willing to
create a kind of yellow pages, in that case we know in advance which TLD we
have to add and this kind of planing could be done. BUT if our goal is not
Yellow pages oriented, the companies willing to run a TLD will apply and if
we see a lack of TLD why not to call for registries.

I) Charters needed?
Our goal is to improve the Domain Name space, so we need clear charters for
each new TLDs to avoid that a company registers a Domain Name under all TLDs
(that the case for .com .org .net NOW).
But let's the new registry to come up with it and review it with the new
registry.

J) Let's restart the Working C-2 to work on how a registry should run from a
technical point of view.

So during the test bed period we will be able to improve the charters, the
agreements and all others formal documents we need.
1- Accreditation
2- Registry/registrar Agreement
3- TLD Charter
4- Data Escrow Format
5- Technical details (in case of failure to be able to transfer data)

I hope the discussion will move forward.

Regards,

Jean-Michel Bécar
becar@etsi.fr
http://www.etsi.org