Re: [wg-c] Well, maybe this won't work

> 	I had hoped that enough people in the center could rally round a centrist,
> compromise  position, that it wouldn't matter that there were holdouts on
> either side. In the face of this opposition, though, eight people humming
> in favor just won't do it.  Unless we get a strong surge of support for the
> proposal now, I'll conclude that it's not going anywhere.  I'm fresh out of
> ideas for forging consensus — anybody else have any?

As I've suggested before, if the pressure for additional TLDs is not
answered by this working group, new root systems and hence new TLDs will
develop outside of ICANN's coverage.  Those new TLDs, registries, and
registrars will have to adhere neither to WIPO policies nor to ICANN's
contracts.

It is very much in the interest of those who want a uniform regulatory
system over TLDs, registrars, and registries to realize that the blockage
of new TLDs, a blockage that is now many years of age, is going to induce
the matter to be resolved by other means.

For me the matter of new TLDs is historical, I'm already happily using
.web and other new TLDs.

So, it is not a question of whether any TLDs at all, or if some, how many.

Rather the question is whether those new TLDs will be under the ICANN
umbrella or not.

		--karl--