Re: [wg-c] Compromise proposal

At 12:34 03-09-1999 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 12:09 PM 9/3/99 , A.M. Rutkowski wrote:
>CORE Registrars have for some time sold (and continue
>>to sell) new TLDs predicated on the assertion that
>>their customers will get first-come, first-served access
>>to those TLDs.  It's not clear how these rights are resolved
>>vis-a-vis eachother or vis-a-vis non-CORE registrars.
>

>The pre-sales by CORE members that I have seen have been for high-priority
>treatment BY THAT MEMBER and have been quite explicit that they do not
>carry any guarantee of priority by CORE, as the above claim implies.

Dear Dave:

You are essentially correct.  However, I wonder about the word "sold"?

The Chair of POC told us we could take applications (not "registrations" or
"pre-registrations).  Our firm took applications with the strict
understanding that they were simply applications with no guarantee that the
applicant would be the successful registrant.  We explained the then
planned "round robin".  For a time, we charged US$15.00, far under our
costs, believe me.

When the Green paper raised its ugly head, we stopped taking
applications.  Recently, we reopened the gateway but do not make any charge.

CORE Excom is very concerned that some former CORE members continue to take
applications (I don't know whether there is any charge), and imply that
they are still members of CORE.  Some of those ex-members could be the
source of Tony's statement.

This matter is currently under careful scrutiny.

Personal regards,
BobC

"I've sawed this board off three times, and it's *still* too short".

Carpenter foreman.