Re: [wg-c] straw poll -- final reminder

Jonathan,

I think that Caroline, Marylin and Ted (sorry if I forgot others)
made a right objections on voting, considering motions from
the NC in Santiago.

As I am listed in your reminder, please find here my
few comments explaining *WHY* I have difficulties to vote.

I am completely open to the issue of gTLDs,
provided that before anything is decided as to process
of their creation ("how many how fast"), we consider
approprietely lessons given by the .com/.org/.net creation.

I would say that almost all problems of .com/.org/.net are
fairly described in the White Paper, and remedies to that
may be observed in day-to-day ICANN process.
The list of main problems:
    - monopoly if the gTLD is not shared registry
      and the string TLD became popular
    - rights to whois and DNS database: no private intellectual
      or other property rights inhere to the gTLD itself
      as the result of gTLD delegation
      (if not it reinforce monopoly)
    - the determination of rules for dispute resolution policy
      regarding domain names registration (all human activities,
      not only Internet related, take names without restriction
      from the dictionnaries, which are human global ressource
      - once theses activities are projected into the common
      Internet domain names space conflicts are inavoidable);
      the subsequent are forbidden names (which names shall be
      forbidden and why ?)
    - determination if on the international level any rule
      trying to create gTLD brand name may be reinforced
      (I stated that not, the brand name may be reinforced
      under one country law, sometimes with difficulties,
      maybe under international treaty, but not in the
      general international case -- it is exactly what happen
      to .com/.org/.net)

Setting up a new gTLD in such a way that all main known problems
we have with .com/.org/.net are avoided from start,
could replace the competition on the registrars level,
which I see much more sane. Then gTLD registries could be seen
as very lightweight group, with the main goal of mutual
responsability to registrants: insure openess to registrars,
notify them a new, yet unknown global dispute rules which may
be necessary for arising new problems,
and guaranty that in case of one registry defect the
corresponding registered domain names will be maintained
by appropriate replacement.

Kind regards,
Elisabeth