Re: [wg-c] WG C Straw Pole vote

	I think there's some confusion here.  The Names Council has
decided that we're not doing our job, and has asked Working Group D to
come up with ways in which Javier and I might adjust our structure.  The
NC has made absolutely no suggestion, though, that we be abolished.  Nor,
for that matter, does *anyone* in Working Group D seem to think that, or
that our membership should be restricted.  To the extent that WG-D comes
up with proposals that will allow us more efficiently to do our job,
that's a good thing -- in any event, we're still in business.[*]

	I think Javier's suggestion that we work on an options memo is a
good one.  I've suggested before, as have others, that if we can't reach
consensus then such a memo will be the best we can do.  As Siegfried has
urged, such a memo should not only list the different possible courses of
action, but also explain the arguments set forward in favor of each.

	I also think, though, that while we are proceeding with that
process we should continue to try and find such consensus as we can find,
wherever we can find it.  (There would be nothing wrong, further, with
producing a report that says we have consensus on X issues, and are
presenting the competing arguments on Y.)  I'll post a separate note,
later today, working towards that goal on "how many, how fast."  As for
the straw poll votes, they are not an attempt to count heads and thereby
determine the position of the group, on a "majority wins" basis.  Their
results have no official status.  Rather, they're a tool we can use to try
to figure out where we may be able to find consensus.  There's no reason
not to continue doing that.  Indeed, I think it would be an abdication of
our duty if we were to sit back and twiddle our thumbs for two weeks,
hoping for WG-D to come up with a magic bullet, rather than continuing to
work.

--------------

[*] It would be folly, further, for the NC to abolish this WG or to try to
replace it with some hand-picked committee.  We've had a hard time getting
results because we're charged with making proposals regarding a really
hard set of issues, on which people tend to strongly disagree; the only
way to reach consensus quickly on these issues is to exclude one or more
of the contending camps from the debate.  As ICANN and the DNSO strive to
prove their legitimacy, in the face of attacks from Herndon and Capitol
Hill, the *last* thing it would make sense to do would be to try to
squelch raucous debate or inconvenient views.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
co-chair, WG-C
weinberg@msen.com

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Chicoine, Caroline wrote:

> Javier, if I recall correctly, the NC passed  the following motion in
> Santiago:
>
> "NC declares that the current structure and composition of WGC is
> contrary to Article VI(b) Section 2b of ICANN bylaws in the sense that
> it's not adequate to carry out the substantive work of the DNSO.  In
> this regard, the NC requires WGD within two weeks to povide the NC with
> interim measures to allow WGC chairs to restructure the working group in
> a way that allows it to perform its functions."
>
> Given this mandate, I believe that no further "voting" can take place,
> since the results will be the result of a WG which has been found not to
> be in compliance with ICANN bylaws.  As a result, I am requesting that
> any further action, including "voting", be put on hold until the interim
> measures are developed.  IMHU, we all could use a two week break to step
> back, cool off and reflect on the issues at hand.
>
> Please advise.

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com