Re: [wg-c] Output of the WG

There have been several problems.

First and foremost, there has been a mandate that the WG be open to the
input of the entire Internet Community, notwithstanding there are those in
that community who wish to torpedo ICANN.  Not surprisingly, there are
voices in this WG which have consistently sought to overturn any glimmer
of consensus.

Second, and nearly as important, there has been a failure on the part of the
chairs of this WG to cultivate consensus.  Several times, messages have been
posted which have shown signs of achieving acceptance on both sides of
the aisle.  In no case has either of the chairs taken any steps to develop
understanding of the differences which need to be addressed and the
concurrences around which a rough consensus could have developed.

Third, and not at all deserving of being ignored, is the feeling that many
people share that the DNSO in general (and the GA and WGs in particular)
are functionally equivalent to PAB under the IAHC regime:  give the little
ones a forum to play in and delude themselves into thinking that what they
say and do has even a tiny impact on the outcome.

There is another fundamental problem at work here:  as I understand the
IETF paradigm of working groups, WGs are essentially bottom-up phenomena,
which coalesce out of the membership of the IETF in response to perceived
opportunities or needs.  That coalescence innervates the WG, driving the
development of the agenda as well as providing the impetus that drives the
work.

That's not what's happening here.  Instead, as I see it, we have a great big
wagon with a banner on the side announcing "Here is IAHC Rev. 2, get on
board all who wish to do so."

Given the foregoing, it's not surprising that we have had a bad outcome.  In
fact, you don't need a degree in psychology to have seen this coming after
ten days of activity on the list.  I find myself scratching my head in anticipation
of the "fix."

KJC
<As usual, please disregard the silly trailer>

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com