Re: [wg-c] Re: multiple_roots

I am struck by the fundamental contradiction in your position...

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 01:12:23AM -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:
[...]
> No matter what this working group or ICANN does, multiple roots can grow
> and flourish.

[...]

> You can, of course chose to live with the existing root system.  But you
> really ought not to force the rest of us who chose to do otherwise into a
> limited Procrustean vision.

You should get your story straight.  You say on one hand that
multiple roots can grow no matter what ICANN does, and on the other
hand you accuse ICANN/Dave of forcing "the rest of us" to only use
the "existing root".

Your last statement is poppycock, of course, and your first statement
is correct: there is no way that ICANN/Dave can prevent the growth of
multiple roots, or prevent people from using them.  Multiple roots
can grow no matter what.

And I WISH THEY WOULD, so WE could get on with providing a *stable
core* to the root system -- a set of TLDs that hospitals and
governments and businesses that want something that will be there
forever can use -- a public interest stable core of DNS.  That is
what ICANN should provide.  The entrepeneurs can have a field day in
the open roots; ICANN should provide the base stable infrastructure.

[...]

> The working group can chose to pursue what I firmly believe to be a
> workable solution.  Or it can spin into ever more repetitious circles,
> become even more polarized, and never get to an answer.

By YOUR OWN STATEMENT, multiple roots have nothing to do with this WG.
This WG is concerned with a particular root, the ICANN root

> I've made my choice.  I am living multiple roots today.  I'm happy with my
> decision.

I'm happy for you.