Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & callfor votes on remaining questions

At 09:17 PM 8/30/99 , Craig Simon wrote:
>The fundamental intent is to find a compromise that can reunify the
>contending parties under the IANA/ICANN root. Yes, it offers offers
>something to non-IANA TLD operators... not TLDs, but attractive terms to
>begin operation as ICANN-accredited registrars. It is a blatantly
>political compromise, and it requires some giving to get it.

In a reasonable world, an effort to overthrow an administration does not
result in handing over a portion of the administration ton the rebels.

Exceptions occur when the rebels have substantial popular support.  For the
case in hand, those independent folk were unable to develop the popular
support, since they never get above 1/2 of 1 percent of the user community.

In seeking political compromise, it is important not to concede just
because a group is noisy but because it involves a significant
constituency, offers constructive ideas, or a variety of other constructive
reasons other than simple, tenacious noisiness.

So!  Please explain what forces drive towards giving special position to
people who tried to disrupt smooth running of the DNS.

>Is my proposal so unplalatable that you would consider a continuing
>freeze on the gTLD space to be preferable?

What makes you think that giving in to this particular group is required?

There is a difference between finding necessary and reasonable compromise,
versus caving in to noise.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>