RE: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

Hello Jonathan,

I would like to modify your case, just a little. Instead of considering
differing TLDs, because both TLDs may be  on the same registry (NSI,
anyone?). Let's assume differing registries. If one registry has a
corner on the sports name TLD market than switching would do me no good.
This is exactly like the current situation with COM/NET/ORG. The
switching costs would be the same, however.

Milton's point is a very good one, retail businesses move all the time.
Landlords are restrained from price-gouging because of it. Yes, there
are costs. but it does not even come close to a monopoly situation
unless there is no place for the business to move to. One registry
owning all the available retail space in town, is a local monopoly only
until another registry starts building out new store-fronts.

In meat-space, moves are handled by address forwarding mechanisms and
the like. This is the exactly same as redirectors and forwarding
mechnisms in cyber-space. With proper planning it is not a big deal in
either space. Ergo, the lock-in argument is FUD as long as mobility
enhancement mechnisms are afforded the domain operator.

MHSC.COM changed upstream providers last year. This meant a complete
renumber. We also built out MHSC.NET and transfered primary NS to
MHSC.NET, along with many other NET functions and our entire
infrastructure. The only problems were indecisiveness on my part,
regarding direction. This involved a number of servers in two states.
Every ISP has done this at least once. It's a PITA and something to be
avoided, but it isn't as onerous as some would have you believe. ISP's
are supposed to know what they're doing.

If I had an alternative to NSI, I would embark on that journey tomorrow
morning and so would a number of others. In fact, MHSC is prepared to
build such a competitive registry. This is how much I don't like the
DDRP and the sword that NSI holds over the heart of MHSC.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
http://www.mhsc.com/
mailto://rmeyer@mhsc.com