[wg-c] Back to the charter

I think that it's time to take a fresh look at the charter and see if we
can't make some new movement (outside of the straw vote/along side the
straw vote). I believe that we have spent a great deal of time
understanding the various viewpoints - let's not see if we can't spend some
actually making some progress towards our report....

"1.Should there be new generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)? If yes: How many?
Which? At which speed should they be deployed and in which order? What
should be the mechanism for developing new gTLDs after all these are
deployed. Should each new gTLD have a specific charter? "

Yes, new gTLDs should be created. They should be deployed in such a fashion
that they become virtually unlimited in number. Initially, ten new gTLDs
should be deployed through a process similar to the ICANN/NSI/DOC
test-bed. The specific TLDs deployed during this test-bed should be
determined by the registries selected to participate. Terms for
participation should include uniquess of business model, technical
stability of the organization, lack of prior use of the gTLD and a clear
understanding of the long term dynamics that the process implies.
After the test phase, new gTLDs should be deployed as quickly as a sane
and reasonable process for deployment allows. Development of new gTLDs
should be instituted by registrars wishing to take part in the process.
Specifically, they should name TLDs that they wish to operate, and these
TLDs will be added to the root on a first in, first out manner. The charter
for the TLD should be determined by the registry.

"2.What should the registration and data maintenance process and regulation
be?."

The process and regulation of this information should be similar to the
current ICANN/NSI/DOC registrar data maintenance and regulation policies.

"3.How should the new gTLDs be managed? What should the registry(ies) be
like? Is it mandatory to have a new registry(ies)? Why? Does the structure
proposed comply with worldwide concepts of anti-trust law? What information
should be made public by the registry(ies) and how?
Obligations of the registry(ies)."

gTLDs should be managed by the registries as they see fit within ICANN
guidelines. While it is not specifically necessary that new registries be
created, this is likely in the best interests of the Internet public.
Registry operation must be conducted within the guidelines of a carefully
constructed agreement between ICANN and the potential registry. Failure to
comply with established operation and procedural guidelines will ultimately
result in the removal of the registry contract. Registries should release
as little registrant information as possible, certainly no more than is
currently released by operating registries. This information should be made
available through an interactive database lookup system similar to the
existing whois system.

--
Ross Wm. Rader
Director, eCommerce