Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

> (B)  A registry is only a monopoly within the context of its TLD.
Inter-registry
> competition is a realistic possibility.  And that's what this has to do
with new
> GTLDs.  Either we bring down the price of SLD registrations, or we will
not
> have succeeded in introducing competition into the marketplace.

Pure supposition. Inter-registry competition is a theoretical possibility
that assumes commodity product with no distinguishable difference across
tldspace. .COM is not .WHATEVER and the attributes that have been attached
to both of them are clearly different. Therefore, proving, or even
disproving that gTLDs will create a price slide is impossible at best.

What we can do is attempt to approximate what the Internet public actually
wants by expanding the namespace. (Assuming that this is what everyone
really wants).

Initially, I believed that WGC would complement ICANN's goal to introduce
new competition into the marketplace, but I'm not too sure now. For a fact,
I can believe that WGC will enable new business models, and new players, but
clearly not new competition.

-RWR