Re: [wg-c] This workgroup list and disruptions, and a motion

	Keith's post raises two issues.  The first is whether we can reach
consensus on any issues *within this working group*.  As to that: maybe
yes, maybe no.  I've had some contacts with Javier off-list about putting
together a possible compromise on "how many, how fast" that could be
acceptable to the middle ground of the group.  Whether that'll work, I
don't know, but I'd like to try.

	The second issue is whether it's worth trying to achieve consensus within
the working group, given that the WG wasn't set up to mirror "the broader
range of all stakeholders who stand to be affected by decisions on the
addition of new gTLDs."  I think it is worth it.  The fact is that not only
within this WG, but also within the Internet community at large, there are
wide and sharp disputes on the issues we're addressing.  If the WG
participants, who *do* represent a lot of the contending forces, can reach
*any* compromises on these issues, that will do a great service to the
Internet community at large.  It will, I think, substantially speed the day
when a plan for adding new gTLDs can actually be adopted and implemented
(something I, at least, think would be a Good Thing).  So it's something we
should try to do.

	(As a parenthetical, I think Keith is overly simplistic in his
characterization of the "blocs," and I'm bemused by his feeling that the
broad range of Internet stakeholders *is* represented in the NC
constituencies, but both of those are side points.)

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
co-chair, WG-C
weinberg@msen.com