Re[2]: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

Monday, August 23, 1999, 11:14:38 AM, John Charles Broomfield <jbroom@manta.outremer.com> wrote:

> How would you deal with that? The answer is that you CAN'T realistically.
> For better or for worse, AOL will have to continue using "aol.com" for the
> forseeable future no matter how pissed off it got with NSI.
> If NSI tomorrow demands US$10million to renew "aol.com", they might get sued
> by AOL, but AOL would most likely pay up in the meantime while seeking their
> legal remedies (hey, you don't suddenly want 14 million customers calling
> the hotline wondering why their email doesn't work, do you?).
> One of the largest amongst the many BIG problems to deal with is the lock-in
> that so many on these lists seem to live in denial of.

This alarmist rhetoric ignores some basic premises.

1) The registry would be cutting their own throat, while they might
get a small handful of renewals, the bulk of their business would just
say screw it, and go elsewhere.

2) These exact situations can EASILY be addressed as simple
contractual requirements.  If NSI did this, boom, they lose .com.

End of story, can we move on to substance now?

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org