RE: Re[2]: [wg-c] Recap from past threads...

We were getting to this just before Johnathan's straw-vote report.If you
look at it from a business perspective, there is no incremental cost to
adding yet another TLD to a registry (just another zone file). However,
the incremental cost of adding another full-blown registry is
comparatively huge (a  new data center and supporting business
organization). This makes it rather trivial for an established registry
to swamp the competition.

I am not interested in more TLDs for NSI. I am interested in more
registries so I don't have to live under NSI's DDRP, which is the main
reason that I got involved in this political cat-fight in the first
place. I get reminded of this every time I renew my SLDs and I, of
course, read the "new" license. It flat-out pisses me off every time I
read the damned thing and I have no place else to go. I want another TLD
registry choice, other than COM/NET/ORG, aka NSI, even if I have to
build the damned thing myself. I hate railroads and I hate not having
options (one and the same). Moreover, I hate having my business held
hostage to some nimrod's idea (DDRP/ADR/etc) of a lawyer job-security
policy. I believe that free-market competition, among TLD registries,
will give us options. Choices are "good"<tm>.

Did I also mention that I am a touch on the paranoid side? I don't trust
centralized control either. Multiple registries are good, in this light,
as is a multi-part root. I'd also like to see multiple root-zone
registries, each with their own family of TLD registries. But, that's a
bit much for now. A lot more technical work needs doing for that to be
viable.