Re: [wg-c] is this really the work we have before us?

> At that level of generality, it does indeed sound appealing.

Great, I'm glad we agree. Now, let's see if we can get specific and
keep it appealing.

> 1.  What are the real details that would adequately describe, require and
> constrain service (and fees)?

Please help and define some. This is a consensus-building. Off the top
of my head, I can think of: substantiated complaints to ICANN by end-users,
uptime, reliability (QoS issues), limitation on price increases (anti-
gouging provisions), mandatory adherance to ethical business
practice... can you come up with some?

Why do you want to constrain fees? First off, that might be price-fixing,
which is illegal. Second, the market tends to take care of that
nicely (if it's too expensive, people don't buy). Now, if you're
talking about RENEWALS, and jacking-up the price, you have
a point. I've proposed long-term contracts, I've proposed
contractual rate increases based upon reasonable economic
indicators, and, heck, I've even proposed prohibition on price
increases for fixed levels-of-service. Take your pick. Suggest
to me others.

Remember, Dave, even if registries are re-bid every 2 years,
there's nothing that says I can't charge you $5 the first year,
and then say, "Hell, I'm going to be re-bid anyway, make it $5000
this year!" the next.

If I don't contractually limit that, you won't buy from me.

NSI is a special case in this instance. I treat it as such.

> 2.  What real-world examples of this approach are there, to give substance
> to teh belief that it will work?

I could ask the same of your plan, but I won't.

IOD's CEO also owns a car dealership. I've seen how things are
run, and there is just such contractual language between a
dealership and the manufacturer. Indeed, if the dealership
does something as baseline as failing to meet sales criteria,
they can lose their franchise. But that's a little out of line,
perhaps. Maybe I can ask him to quote me some of the
criteria when franchise renewal comes up.

That's just one example.

Christopher