[wg-c] The nature of a registry

At 03:37 PM 8/19/99 , Christopher Ambler wrote:
>Fine. Image Online Design will not be a registrar, but will, instead,
>run the .web registry. CORE may be the registrars, since they
>don't give a damn who runs the TLD.

This nicely highlights the incorrect attribution that has been made for the
last couple of years.  CORE has been claimed to care about the registry
issue and --- although it might be nice to ask them directly -- I suspect
it doesn't.  As noted it is an association of registrars.

On the other hand, the association was set up to run a registry.  On the
other hand, CORE and its registrars did not set itself up.

An independent body with members from a range of organizations and
perspectives specified the registry issue.  Not CORE.

It has been convenient to attribute the choice to CORE, since its member
are mostly crass seekers of profit.

However those who specified the arrangement had no direct financial stake
in the outcome and were, instead, trying to juggle the combinations of
consumer interest, trademark concerns, and operational challenges.

It is also worth noting that a significant number of other organizations
formally chimed in with approval of the arrangement.

At the core (pun intended) of this arrangement was the view that registries
should be run on a cost-recovery basis.

It is worth noting that this view received rough-consensus-level support
among the public comments made curing the green/white paper process.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>