Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on

> No one is advocating a "five-year guaranteed out-of-business limit". If
the
> registry is run well, then chances are pretty good that it would be
> successful in its re-bid.

Like heck.

If you start a registry, spend millions on advertising, make the TLD very
popular, I'll come in and underbid you in order to get the benefit of all
the spending you did on advertising and good-will. If .com were
re-bid, nobody would care who was running it (indeed, some might
even rejoice). In the meantime, NSI would have hundreds of employees
being laid off and tons of infrastructure being sold at surplus.

Sorry, it's a non-starter.

Re-bid in cases of insolvency or violation of contract. Make the contract
as strict as you wish, so companies get into it with their eyes open.

Christopher