Re: [wg-c] straw poll -- reminder

On 19 August 1999, Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> wrote:

>Elisabeth PORTENEUVE wrote:
>
>> All geographical and historical names (English and French alike,
>> probably other languages) are registered, then all English
>> dictionnary names are registrered. Automated systems
>> associated with dictionnaries on line (or on CDROM) make
>> Internet domain name registration for some middlemen-cybersquatters
>> just yet another fast speculation activity.
>
>Elisabeth:I recognize the problem you are describing.
>
>How can I make you understand that speculation
>happens because of artificial limits on the
>number of TLDs? Speculators gobble up these
>names because there are so few of them available.
>Speculation is by definition fueled by a gap between
>supply and demand.
>
>The only way to end speculation is to add LOTS of new
>TLDs to completely eliminate the scarcity value of domain
>names. That will solve your concern perfectly.

Speaking of which, there's an interesting pair of
articles just published on speculation and squatting:

http://www.metroactive.com/metro/cover/domains1-9933.html
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/cover/domains2-9933.html

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org