Re: [wg-c] straw poll -- reminder

At 22:48 17-08-1999 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         I'm away from home, and as a result not as well-organized as I'd
>like to be.  Near as I can tell, the following 24 WG members who have
>posted to the list at least once[*] haven't submitted votes in the straw
>poll:  Dennis Jennings, Kilnam Chon, Daiva Tamulioniene, Eva Frolich,
>Amadeu Abril i Abril, Ivan Pope, Werner Staub, Ross Wm. Rader, Javier
>Sola, John Lewis, Tolga Yurderi, Petter Rindforth, Martin B. Schwimmer,
>Craig Simon, Jeffrey Neuman, Onno Hovers, Keith Gymer, Jim Glanz, Rob
>Hall, Raul Echeberria, Caroline Chicoine, Robert F. Connelly, Anthony
>Lupo, Kathryn Kleiman.

Dear Jonathan:

Thank you for jogging me for my "vote".  As you noted, I did respond to
other postings in this thread but had not thought through how I would reply.

Recognising that we really only need to vote on item #1, and recognising
that this process is *not* intended to be a formal, binding *vote*;  and
recognising that the intent of the straw poll was to put some straw in the
wind to see which way it blows, I shall "cast" my selection but also modify
it by rendering my opinion.

I am in favour of #1.

However, I think that soon after launching the first limited number of
gTLDs, the *powers that be* (ICANN?) should monitor the various points
which have been vetted here, especially the effects on Intellectual
Property issues and Internet stability factors.

When I say "Intellectual Property issues", I stress the effect upon on the
consumers.  If 1. confusion causes consumers to put trust in questionable
sources for goods and services, and 2. if such confusion causes them to
incur losses (financial and/or other) and 3. there is a consumer loss of
faith in Electronic Commerce, then I recommend that those same powers that
be step back and *measure* another time.  (Notwithstanding the wisdom
quoted below, I think "the process" has probably measured twelve dozen
times already, and that's "gross".)

Pending favourable reviews of the initial roll-outs, I would favour moving
in the direction of Option #2.

Jonathan and Javier, may I issue you the domain "solomon-at-work.org?"

Cordially,
BobC

"Measure thrice and cut once."
 From "Little Britches".