[wg-c] maximums

At 01:24 PM 8/17/99 , Milton Mueller wrote:
>Dave, have you reviewed on the WG-C archives the
>discussion of this issue? It might help us to understand better
>where you stand and it might help you to understand better why
>the options were formulated the way they were.

In fact, Milton, yes.  I reviewed the archives before sending email.

Understanding discussion history does not affect technical imperatives.

>Basically, the largest number anyone is talking about as a "generic"
>goal was about 300 over 3 years. The real issue was whether ICANN
>would:

All DNS experts queried a couple of years ago were entirely confortable
with 300 as a maximum.  Pretty much all of them are even comfortable with
1,000.

However there is a difference between the maximum that can be added and the
RATE at which new names can be added.

>* specify *in advance* its intention to add that many, absent any demonstrable
>harm, and proceed to do so unless problems arose, (Option 2), or,
>
>* add a very small number (people spoke in terms of 2 or 3, I think)
>and then go through an entirely new proceeding before adding any more.
>(Option 1)

The text of Option 1 does not say what you have put here.  It mandates a)
small initial allocation, b) evaluation before adding more.

It says nothing about "an entirely new proceeding".

>Based on your discussion below, I see you more as an Option 2
>person, but I may be engaging in wishful thinking. So let us know....

I did.  In detail.

To re-iterate the key paragraph:

>Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > In other words, the specific text for Option 2 is the first sentence and it
> > commits to pursuing a goal.  I vote in favor of that goal.

All of my surrounding text was cautionary, concerned that the specific text
of Option 2 not be over-interpreted, and distinguishing between the general
principal, versus execution detail.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>