Re: [wg-c] Competition policy and gTLDs

Milton,

I'll raise it at my next department luncheon :-)

I'm curious though, how many of those who use search engines use the trademark/service mark of a company/product as a key word in their search? (this is not a combative question - just an innocent inquiry)

Rita

>>> Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> 08/17 12:02 AM >>>
In a pilot study for a large-scale study of Internet domain name usage,
which is awaiting the decision of a grant-making authority,
we surveyed about 60 users.

Our indications--and I only call them indications because it is
just a pilot--are much more in line with William's.
There are at least 8 common ways users find or locate
domains, and search engines are the preferred method
while typing in a guessed name for our smallish sample was
mostly a last resort.

However, there are indications that these behaviors vary
depending on the age and net experience of the user.
That is why we want to do a more complete study.

Perhaps Rita one of your large trademark clients would be
willing to help us fund it? The results might save them lots of
trouble. (This is mainly irony, not brazen
solicitation or anything disgusting like that. My phone number
is 315-443-5616)

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/