Re[2]: [wg-c] Competition policy and gTLDs

Monday, August 16, 1999, 3:21:35 PM, Rita M. Odin <OdinR@arentfox.com> wrote:

>>People do not search the Internet by typing in a TLD and then >seeing what
>>happens under it.
>>At best, the TLD provides some basic cues about
>>identity. But mostly it's just a mnemonic. So I think it is >fundamentally
>>incorrect to view domain names--at any level--as part of the >search
>>process for content.

> People do search the Internet for content by using domain names - usually comprised of trademarks/service marks plus .com.    Having discussed this with other laypersons, I find that many are just
> like me . . . the first thing they try when attempting to find a particular site on the Internet, is to type in the trademark with a .com after it, hoping for the best.  If that doesn't work they
> try a search engine (infinitely more frustrating due to the plethora of unrelated sites that come up).  Either way, the mark is how they attempt to find content - and the mark usually shows up in
> the domain name.

Rita,

I've tested this with 5 people who have only gotten onto the internet
within the last 6 months.

To a person, each of them used the search engine provided on their
ISPs homepage as the first place they checked for finding a company.

I've yet to see anyone be able to quantify your claim above.

I note you have not responded to the many valid points brought up in
regard to your other posts.  I hope by ignoring them, you do not think
they will go away.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org