Re[4]: [wg-c] Eureka?

Tuesday, August 10, 1999, 4:06:40 PM, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@dninet.net> wrote:

>> The view you are asking us to take is an example of the fundamental
>> difference in how we view things.  I do not accept that your view is
>> correct.

> william..

> maybe you don't share this view but if you are never going to convince
> anyone to just "throw open the net" to unlimited #'s of gtlds. there is no
> real trust out there (given the view that regulatory and government agencies
> have) and give the fear of abuse that the IP community  has.

I don't believe I have advocated any sort of uncontrolled "throw open
the net" type policy.  I HAVE advocated REASONABLE prerequisites that
prospective registries would have to meet to introduce a new TLD into
the root.

Lets move beyond the view that its either your way, or an unlimited
free for all.  No one here is advocating the latter.

> your going to also have a tough time getting any individual, authority,
> group, or regulatory entity (pick you choice here)  to make another
> "political decision" that vests any designee with "instant wealth" which
> could be valued in the 100's of millions of dollars given all the current
> controversy surrounding com,net,org.

Well, the particular value of any TLD will be decided by the market.
The more there are, and the diversity that each could bring, the less
likely any one will have of being so dominating that it is worth
anything close to 100's of millions of dollars.

.com only has that value as a result of being in a monopoly position.

Lets fix that, ok Ken?

> so you can "roll down the road"  with a proposal which i don't believe will
> fly ...or maybe we can find an approach that can offer rewards for
> entrepreneurial talent as well as providing overall benefits the public

Well, you seem to think I am making a proposal that I am not.

I believe my ACTUAL approach has so far been able to address most
every real concern.  The only thing that differs is that I call for
only "reasonable" restrictions and prereqs, and beyond that permit
diversity.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org