Re: Re[2]: [wg-c] Eureka?

>I don't see how this could happen, unless we fail to enter reasonable
>safe guards.  There are ways to avoid this without introducing
>anticommercial/anticompetitive rules.
>
>For example, dictate that in no event will one registry operated more
>than X number of TLDs, nor shall any organization have "effective"
>control over more than X number of TLDs (effective control to include
>subsidiaries/etc of the organization), etc.
>
>Lets open a discussion on "reasonable" safe guards, and what they
>would constitute.  I seem to remember a discussion in domain-policy
>last year that seemed to have met no opposition in saying that no
>organization shall ever operate or have control over more than 3 TLDs,
>and that during the initial rollout, this number should be confined to
>one.

I would hope that number would actually be a lot larger. If we do move
forward on the premise of infinite namespace, no scarce resources etc.,
then restricting the number of gTLDs that a firm could operate to a small
number would actually work against us. For instance, let's say we move
ahead on this proposal and we have 500 tld's ready to go - but only 20
registry operators? Additionally, these rules would make it impossible for
NSI to play ball - the last time I checked, they currently run 5 gTLDs
(.com, .net, .org, .gov and .edu)

The safe guards that you imply seem to be rather weak. We could make this
much simpler (stronger) if we allowed for a larger number, but put (forgive
the analogy) A BBB type QC feedback loop into place to ensure that quality
of service and operations is upheld. ICANN has already implemented minimum
requirements for being accredited, can't we take this one step further to
ensure that the best interests of the public are taken into account? (ie -
if a TLD operator generates more than, say,  a 5% complaint to registration
ratio, the "TLD Consumer Affairs Group" could decide to look into it
further and take measures to ensure that the ratio is brought inline with
the other registries.

??

-RWR