Re[2]: [wg-c] Eureka?

Thursday, August 05, 1999, 11:53:48 PM, Ross Wm. Rader <ross@ebarn.com> wrote:

> That's ridiculous - bidding on a contract is anything but Marxist. gTLD

What is the motivation to bid?  There is none.  That is the point, the
restrictions Kent is proposing are so overly extreme, no company would
be interested in bidding.  As Roland said, there is no incentive.

> registries need to be run in the interests of the internet public - to offer
> exclusive rights *and* allow the registry to pick their TLD is insane. Look
> at IO...anything, as long as it's .web.

Offer of proof would be nice?  What makes domain names any different
than any other market?  Why can't the MARKET decide what's in the best
interest of the MARKET?  When we talk about public management
functions, such as with the FCC, or public utilities, we are talking
about what are pretty much FINITE resources.  Any limitations on the
dns are far beyond any such standard, and are likely to be expanded
rather quickly as technology expands.

I still await a good solid answer as to what is wrong with adopting a
structure that affords as much of a "free market" type setting as is
possible.  In every other area of industry this has been shown to
work and benefit both the consumer, the market, and the economy.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org