RE: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

> Behalf Of Onno Hovers
> Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 12:00 PM
> To: wg-c@dnso.org
> Subject: Re: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs
>
> Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> >> Furthermore, even given the pure stand-alone development, your
> >> figures are highly inflated.  I agree that in general people costs
> >> are frequently underestimated, but you go very, very far
> in the other
> >> direction...
>
> > When was the last time you priced out commercial software
> development
> > work in the SF Bay Area?
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Talk about inflating costs. Do you know how much more expensive
> the Bay Area is compared to other places?

Most folk, once they are told that, automatically apply local cost
conversion factors. The proposal was very explicit as to the cost
context. Yes, I do know because I also pay the local cost of living. (a
$300K house that would be $90K anywhere else).

> >> In general, I agree that people frequently underestimate
> labor costs,
> >> but you would do very well indeed, if you could sucker someone into
> >> that.  Eg: 2856 hours for a data modeler -- that's 1.5 years,
> >> full-time.  This is *not* a complicated database...
>
> > [......]
> > Don't forget the trigger code, in Oracle8 PL/SQL.
> Talk about inflating costs, again. Do you know how much more expensive
> Oracle licences are compared to other DB vendors?

Do you know how easy it is to find Oracle DBA's, as opposed to most
others? Not to mention Oracle parallel server technology for H-A
operations. What does down-time cost a commercial operation?

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99aug/19990801.html)